Friday, February 8, 2008

Day of Days (Continued)

I heard my first call to prayer as I was making my way through Marrakech and it nearly made me jump (I happened to be near a major mosque at the time). My first thought, having never experienced anything like this before, was some massive fire alarm; it only took a moment to adjust my thinking and identify the call for what it actually was. Walking by another mosque moments later I saw dozens of men in single file rows in the structure's interior, bent on all fours, heads pressed to their prayer mats. The moment was a bit surreal as I was enveloped by this new experience ; I observed the surrounding activity, trying not to be conspicuous (though i think my huge backpack just may have given me away) while taking in the centuries old prayer tradition.

I am staying in a Riad-a beautiful Moroccan home-which has been transformed into a hostel. The experience thus far has been wonderful and I would recommend anyone traveling on a budget-and even if you dont have a budget-to find hostels along your travels (and specifically Riads in Morocco). They are usually cheap/reasonably priced and are a great way to meet fellow travellers, old and young. The Riad is located just off of the center of the Medina-old city-though it was nearly impossible trying to find it my first time as a result of the network of narrow streets and alleyways that led me here. The area is very quiet-especially compared to the city center-and quite safe, though it doesnt look like it; the narrow turns and blind corners look to be perfect places for an ambush (sorry, just the way that I think).

Making your way through the labirynth from the Riad to the city center, you are greeted by the hustle and bustle of what I could only describe to you as Canal Street x 10. Everywhere you look, goods are being sold; from fresh meat to to antiques, leather goods to fruit. The scene, both in the narrow streets leading to the center and the center itself, is quite picturesque; the hustle and bustle of tourists, shopowners and hustlers gives the environment a certain rhythm, as if everyone has a part to play and knows their role. While in the center square, looking up from what is right in front of your face (which can be a bit difficult at times) the eye may catch the snow-dusted Atlas Mountains in the distance, home of the Berber people of the region. Turning in another direction, the enormous tower of the Koutoubia mosque demands attention. Bringing your gaze back to eye level, the real tourist attractions of the large square can be seen: the fabled cobra snake charmers with the accompaniment of the punji (nasal sounding wood instrument used to hypnotise the snake). To the left and right of these daredevils form tight circles of mostly men, as a figure in the circles' center speaks of the power of natural herbs, powders and other remedies.

1 comment:

Amber said...

i love your new approach to the blog. it felt like i was right there with you walking through the hubbub! very exciting. heh heh heh